Logo

Ignition Coil SpeakConfused

pugetsounder

Advanced Contributor
"OK since I decided to try out

"OK since I decided to try out the Hot-Spark electronic ignitor I decided to research a new coil as well. Talk about confusing. I guess I need to figure out what I have first. I have a later model AQ140A not sure what year since it didn't come with the boat. But how do I decifer ohms resistance, is it primary or secondary? Then how do I figure out if my coil has internal or external resistor? All I know is the Ignitor set up needs at least 3.2 ohms but I would like at least 40,000 volts output. Then there is the cooling fluid inside the coil. Can anybody suggest a brand name and number aftemarket Ignition coil for the electronic ignitor set up? I'm pulling my hair out at all the choices but I just want the right one. Thanks a bunch."

Thanks El! Are there any benef

Thanks El! Are there any benefits to oil filled vs epoxy filled besides price? Also is the Pertronix coil an internal or external or no resistor? Will any aftermarket brand work as long as it's the same specs as the Pertronix you mentioned? I prefer to buy locally when I can. I can get MSD and Accel and a couple other good brand names at my local autoparts stores for roughly the same price. Unforunately we don't have a Pertronix supplier within 200 miles of Seattle from what I gather from their website.

"You can install any generic 3

"You can install any generic 3 ohm coil. The epoxy filled is better for higher vibration environments, and they seem to last longer on a boat than the oil filled versions."

"Thanks again. One more questi

"Thanks again. One more question. The 3 OHM rating is that secondary resistance? I'm having trouble understanding some of the manufacturers's lingo as far as that. All the primary OHM ratings are quite low such as the MSD Blaster coil has 0.7 OHMs primary resistance but 4.7 OHMs secondary resistance. And do I need an external resistor at all for the electronic ignitors, since some of these spec external resistors.

I never thought coils could be so complicated but I don't want to fry anything in my ignition. Especially the new ignitor."

"The resistance is the one mea

"The resistance is the one measured between the (+) and the (-) of the coil or primary resistance. And you don't need an external resistor, just get a 3 ohm coil and off you go.

The ultra-low resistance coils you see around are for special ignitors and develop around 60,000V or whatever other crazy figure that manufacturers may come with. There is one made by Pertronix that has 0.45 ohm and another one that has 0.6 ohm, both to be used with the Ignitor II system. And no, they won't work with your distributor.
biggrin.gif
"

"Hey PugetSounder,

I notic

"Hey PugetSounder,

I notice you live in Seattle like I do. Working on a AQ125A engine. Sounds like you are having the same problems that I am, with getting the coil to send spark to the spark plugs. Message me offline, maybe we can put our two heads together and get both of our boats on the water in time for summer
happy.gif
"

"Once again, Thanks El!

Dea

"Once again, Thanks El!

Deathhawk81 actually my boat runs OK I just want to upgrade to electronic ignition for easier starting and smoother operation and easier maintenance. I think for around $80 I can have a new ignitor and coil. Pretty cheap by boat standards. But good luck with your boat getting out on the water soon."

Back