Logo

Mercruiser 350 Mag spark plug change

A

anthony krieger

I need to replace spark plugs

I need to replace spark plugs (AC MR43T) in my 1997 Mercruiser 350. There is not enough clearance on any plug to use a socket. Is a special tool required?

"That's strange, they are

"That's strange, they are quite easy to get at usually, right under the manifolds. Do you have the stock Merc manifolds?
Rod"

"I purchased new. Completely

"I purchased new. Completely stock, 1997 350 Magnum, Tournament Ski. The plugs are all visible right under the manifolds but I cannot slip the socket over the plugs due to clearance from the manifold."

"Rod:
I purchased a new 5/8&#

"Rod:
I purchased a new 5/8" slim socket from Home Depot, thinking that would solve the problem. There must be a trick to this. I can't imagine that I need to pull the manifolds to get to the spark plugs. This is a stock engine; I would think someone else would have faced the same problem. Thanks for your help!"

"Get a swivel head socket, or

"Get a swivel head socket, or use a box wrench to start them, then use an old spark plug wire, cut short to get them off the rest of the way."

"If you loosen them with a box

"If you loosen them with a box end, then push on a short length of 3/8" hose, you can use that to remove them the rest of the way. I still find it hard to beleive that any stock engine/manifold setup won't accept a standard plug socket! Yikes!
Rod"

"Actually,.....
The Merc. Ma

"Actually,.....
The Merc. Manual shows a picture of Where to Grind down a standard Sparkplug Socket to make it Fit.......

Basically,.... grind Most of the top corners,+ the top of the barrel of the socket Off....."

Back