Logo

1996 Yamaha 150 saltwater series

B

Ben St.Pierre

"I just bought a 1996 Ranger w

"I just bought a 1996 Ranger with twin 150's. Motors have about 500 hrs. On the test run motors ran fine. After I purchased it the starboard motor idled a little rough, ran ok till about 4000 rpm's, wouldn't open up past 4000, would drop to about 3700 at full throttle, then temporarily, open up to 4800 for a few seconds, then drop down again. It would do this on and off. I changed the fuel pumps, cleaned carberators, checked compression, ranged from 120, to 110. Checked the lowest cylinder for scars, no scars, or no piston damage. Still gave me the same problems next time I ran it. Could it be electric, gas line, or need to be rebuilt? Boat sat up for 18 months before I bought it. Any info would help."

"You didn't mention checki

"You didn't mention checking the filters, hoses and pick-up screens."

"OK, changed the bulb, and ran

"OK, changed the bulb, and ran. The problem still occured, but much less, and alot shorter duration of time. I will change all of the hoses. Quick question though, could I be getting a strain for fuel from the Fuel Flow Sensor on that engine could be sticking. I had an extremely hard time getting fuel into the filter on that engine. Is there some type of paddle wheel in that sensor that may be sticking. I am ready to use my boat!

25' Ranger with twin Yamaha 150's"

Back