Logo

What oil to use in my Paragon Transmission

briang0

Regular Contributor
I have a 1974 Chris Craft Expl

I have a 1974 Chris Craft Explorer the engine is not orginal but it is a 409 Chevy V8. The transmission I don't think is the same vintage as the engine but it is definitly a Paragon possible PL or PM. The tranny fluid is brown so I'm not sure if it is engine oil or old tranny fluid. I am going to try to get the model number off the tranny to get a better idea. There is definitly a oil cooler on the transmission that is separate from the engine and transmission. There are 2 lines that go to the transmission as well as 2 water lines. Any Ideas?

I have the numbers off the tra

I have the numbers off the transmission it is a P21R any ideas is it 30w or transmission fluid?

"Type A transmission fluid is

"Type A transmission fluid is probably what was specified, but DEXRON II is what most people use now, since the A hasn't been seen on shelfs lately.

I think the designation indicates you have a Paragon P200, 1:1 direct drive, right hand rotation.

Here's a manual on CD for sale for 9 bucks on ebay (10 available)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chris-Craft-Paragon-transmission-manuals-boat-mar ine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26453QQihZ001QQitemZ110102817408QQrdZ1QQsspagenam eZWD1V

Regards, P"

"If you ever consider re-engin

"If you ever consider re-engining that boat, save the 409 for me--please! They are worth a bundle to hot rod restorers.

Jeff"

"Be sure to check the oil leve

"Be sure to check the oil level CORRECTLY. The motor must be fully warmed up, then shut down and the stick pulled immediately. THAT is the correct oil level, NOT when it is cold.

Be careful here! The trans holds only a couple of quarts of oil. Be down a few cups and they will slip and burn out.

Jeff"

Can anyone tell me what the op

Can anyone tell me what the operating temperature of my transmission should be. After taking about 1 hr cruise at about 3000 RPMs I went to check the oil level and noticed that the dip stick was very hot to touch almost couldn't hold it. I have a laser temp probe and will take a reading the next time we go for a ride.

"Well, I can't speak direc

"Well, I can't speak directly to your boat.
But My 1972 CC Sedan has water cooled transmissions. You may need to check your flow.
You may still have a good discharge, but the flow doesn't pass all the right places."

Back