Logo

1987 OMC Outdrive knock noise

heckandarn

"I have a 1987 27' Bayline

"I have a 1987 27' Bayliner with a Cobra outdrive. It started making a knock noise recently when the outdrive is turned either left or right. Naturally, I replaced the U-joints. As long as I was in that deep, I went ahead and replaced the gimbal bearing. Heard no noise in the driveway with the drive earmuff on. Took it to the lake, it made the exact same noise. As if I had replaced nothing. I replaced the parts (gimbal & U-joints) again. Incredibly it still makes knocking/chatter noise when turned all the way left or right whether or not in gear. I checked alignment of drive, it's spot on. Found no bent or otherwise damaged parts. I've run out of things to check. This is a U-joint noise. Pretty unmistakable.
Does anyone have knowledge of something else that will cause the U-joint to make noise?
Help is very much appreciated."

"had a similar problem years a

"had a similar problem years ago. O.M.C. tech guy said to double the drive gaskets. sounds pretty lame. tried it and it worked. go figure. luck, S."

"Turns out after much measurem

"Turns out after much measurements, (micing) the gimbal bearing was all but 1/16" seated. Unbelievable! Been working on this for days. And 2 bearings . . .

Quiet as a church mouse now.

Sux that I'm not perfect :-("

Back