Logo

Full Throttle stutter

johnf963

"I have a 2001 Chapparal 216 w

"I have a 2001 Chapparal 216 w/ 5.7 Bravo III. I don't run it hard at all, plently of power. I have noticed that at WOT - trimmed, it will stutter like it starves for gas. Sounds/feels like you are quickly shutting the key off/on real fast.

A friend says I am hitting the rev. limiter. It happens WOT at 5200 rpm. It happens whether the drive is down or at trim level....

Any ideas?"

"I agree, that motor probably

"I agree, that motor probably shouldn't turn any more than 4600 rpm. Sounds like you have more hp than prop. Is your prop the original?"

The prop is the original twins

The prop is the original twinscrew thatcame w/ the Bravo III. It only has 200 hours on it. I expect that all settings are factory. Does anyone really know what the red line actually is for this 5.7 Fuel Injection?

"John; my Clymer manual indica

"John; my Clymer manual indicates the 1997 5.7 EFI is rated up to 5000 RPM, so you sound about right. There is naturally some safety margin in the published numbers, but I would not push it past 5000 RPM too often. By comparison Merc says my 6.2 MAG MPI small block is OK to 5200 RPM. Don't know if its built much different, but the 6.2 is specced out pretty well.
Rod"

"Thanks Rod. I would assume th

"Thanks Rod. I would assume that the tach is right and it gives the full effort at WOT, that being 51-5200rpm. Maybe I just need to put the blades in a little deeper at full blast.

It just seems that when trimmed, one shouldn't have to put the props deeper in to keep from hitting the rev limiter.

I'll have it checked and I advise if they find anything mechanical that would be responsible.

Thanks again."

"Your friend is right, your on

"Your friend is right, your on the rev limiter. For that engine it's 5150 RPM."

"Your friend is right, your on

"Your friend is right, your on the rev limiter. For that engine it's 5150 RPM. The "stutter" is typical of what it does when on the limiter. Nothing wrong with your engine."

Back