Logo

2003 f225 outboard

D

d collard

"Starts and idles fine. runs g

"Starts and idles fine. runs great at high rpm, when throttling back from high rpm, throttle handle difficult/impossible to shift into neutral. Motor will not idle down below 11-1200rpm. Iff engine is turned off, handle moves into neutral position. When restarted engine may require idle to be revved to then idle down, or my idle properly upon restarting,down to 700rpm."

"I have a 2003 F225 with the e

"I have a 2003 F225 with the exact problem you describe. Yamaha issued a recall in 2005 for what sounds like this problem. Here's a link to a description http://www.boating-industry.com/output.cfm?id=919927.
Only trouble is that even after the fix, my motor was no better. I have overcome the problem
(try not to laugh) by rigging a couple of rubber bands so that they pull the throttle towards the
closed position as my theory is that there is not enough tension on the throttle springs.Anyway it works and I always carry a bag of spare rubber bands
happy.gif
I note that Just_In_Time has mentioned the dash pot.I don't know what this is and I'll be asking the mechanics.
If you have come up with a non-rubber band answer I would love to hear it."

"Since my post on Jun 11 I hav

"Since my post on Jun 11 I have found out that the dash pot 'functions to control a throttle throughout its movement and also functions as a throttle return spring' so maybe the rubber bands aren't so silly.Anyway, Just-In-Time's advice sounds spot-on. I haven't been able to check my dash pot as yet, but will certainly be doing so."

Mechanics just looked blank.I&

Mechanics just looked blank.I've been trying to get hold of a service manual. A couple of questions..
Is the dash pot on the f225 electronic rather than mechanical? Where is it located?
Your interest is greatly appreciated.

Back