Logo

Fuel Lines Dry Hard Starting Issue

"Took the exit lines off my Ra

"Took the exit lines off my Racor fuel seperators to install fuel flow meters and no fuel came out, bone dry? is it possible that after shutting down engines that a siphon condition pulls fuel back into the fuel tank? The set-up is fuel tank mid ship just ahead of engines, 90s on top of fuel tank that drop to fuel shut off valves then into the Racor fuel filters that are mounted behind the fuel tank bulkhead wall / center between both engines. I am investigating putting the Carter electric fuel pumps on both 454s to get faster cold starts. Any thoughts on this and how to properly install them into the fuel line system?"

"Right at the tanks. Be sure

"Right at the tanks. Be sure to rig up a circuit, through the oil pressure switches, that shuts the pumps off when the motor's are off. Also, since you're trying to eliminate that cold starting problem, be sure to rig up a momentary push button to run the fuel pumps before cold starting the motors. Everyone I've talked to who've done it this way are mighty pleased (myself included).

Jeff"

Back