Logo

Separation of upper and lower OMC Cobra gearcases

larry_g

"I'm having trouble separa

"I'm having trouble separating the upper and lower gearcases on my 1987 OMC Cobra 3.0L. I followed the procedure outlined in the factory manual: removed the outdrive and mounted it on the bench, removed 2 bolts on each side and the 2 at the rear (including the bolt under the alignment plate). The upper case will pivot slightly from side to side, but no amount of "firm pulling" will separate the two. I've even tried some careful "firm prying". Any help will be greatly appreciated!"

Mine was the same way. I used

Mine was the same way. I used a big screwdriver back where the zinc plate was between the upper and lower unit a little on each side bit by bit. Very careful prying and wiggle the lower unit at the same time while pulling. Also make sure you turn the shift rod to the left ( if standing behind unit) so the lower unit will come all the way down.

"Thanks, Steve. Coupled with a

"Thanks, Steve. Coupled with a couple of days soaking in Kroil, it turned loose. Corrosion and old o-rings had "welded" the intermediate bearing housing to the inside of the upper housing. Back on course!"

Back