Logo

TOHATSU Problems Electrical HELP

A

ASV

"I have an older model 40hp TO

"I have an older model 40hp TOHATSU outboard. It is attatched to a 16Ft. Hobie skiff, center console. I use this boat in the salt waters of Cape Cod. Previous to the season, i replaced all plugs, gear oil, and fuel filters. The boat ran strong but stalled in idle. the boat ran in the water, but would stall in nuetral. The key would not work, it was like it was not even connected. However the key does work some of the time. I pulled the boat and tested compression, all ok. Again i started it on the trailor, adjusted carb, and cleaned jets. Boat ran like a champ, key and all. So i put the boat in the water, and the key would not work again. the motor also flooded itself out. after some time i was able to start the motor again using the key. i then powered out to sea, and the angine just lost all power and bogged out, key dead, engine flooded. I BELIVE the issue is electrical, DO YOU? Can a fluke electrical issue cause the motor to act like this?? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. The sripers are in and im stuck on shore."

Back