Logo

57L Alpha stall

spook5365

"Just got back in the water,ha

"Just got back in the water,had one 1/2 hour sea trial and a full day Saturday. Then a recurring problem. When cruising back to marina at 2900 rpm, sudden engine stall, everything shut down. This happened at random times last summer, and here is what has been done.

1. Changed fuel/water separator filter 3-4 times. Never saw water in gas.

2. Removed debris from fule pick up filter

3. Removed and replaced anti siphon valve

4. Removed and replaced faulty oil pressure switch.

5. Total rewiring of boat. Separate issue but may remove a few question marks.

The engine purrs and runs as good as possible before these stall outs. The only common thread I can think of is its running at "fixed" throttle when it happens. Ex. When I ran it Sat, family was tubing so a lot of throttle changes. Wehn cruising back, it was held at 2900. Never happens on the way out, always after decent usage. Help!!!!!!!"

"David

I had a problem simi

"David

I had a problem similiar to your several years ago and the problem was that I had a cracked manifold and the water was getting up into my distribtor cap and was causing me to stall out. This was an intermitent problem, but after replacing the cracked manifold and having a new deistributor, that would not allow water to spray in from the bottom the problem never came back."

"Could be an intermittent coil

"Could be an intermittent coil, that cuts out after getting up to temp, or maybe a flakey ignition switch, or corrosion at the 10 pin plug. Ignition switch (and other boat) terminals get coated with condensation residue after a while and can cause trouble. The problem is being intermittent, it will be a bear to accurately diagnose. If you test for it at the dock, you will likely never find it.
Rod"

"5. Total rewiring of boat. Se

"5. Total rewiring of boat. Separate issue but may remove a few question marks.

Thermal issue; check all grounds first, then all 12 volt ignition related connections. Mine quit recently and I changed all the wiring in Feb. Turned out to be a loose double nut 12 volt stud. Lower nut was tight in Feb when cold. Loose in May when hot. Guy"

Back