Logo

AT MY WITS END

W

wroestenberg

"Hello, I have a 1997 Excel wi

"Hello, I have a 1997 Excel with a 3.0 4cyl. Last year I started have acceration problems, so to a make extremly long story short. I had the carb rebuilt (no luck) then the carb replaced (so so luck), installed a in line fuel filter and water separator and had the dist. cap replaced. It ran great for like 2 hours and then out of no where started to stall. It will re start but it sounds like the engine is running slightly rough. IS it true you have to sea trail the carb to get the adjustment right? Someone please help!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!"

"It sounds a lot like you got

"It sounds a lot like you got a tank of bad gas from somewhere. I would completely drain and clean the tank out and start with new gas (no ehtanol) and clean filters, then see where you are.
Rod"

i am just curious but where ca

i am just curious but where can you purchase gas without the ehtanol in it.. thought it were mandatory now.. just curious cause i am having trouble with the new gas too and would love to get some of the good old fashion gas

"We don't have ethanol in

"We don't have ethanol in our gas in this part of the world yet (western Canada) thank God. I have read on this board lots of problems caused by ethanol (E10) gas, but I have no first hand experience with it. If you go back a couple of months I am sure you will find what I am referring to.
Rod"

"Hi,
I sure could use so

"Hi,
I sure could use some help. I am trying to find the forward- neutral- reverse, switch that is in the speed control box. This is for a 55 HP Johnson Hydra-drive 1969 model.
If any one out there knows of a way to by-pass or hook up some other kind of switch PLEASE let me know.
Thanking you in return.
Art Bergman
[email protected]
THANK YOU"

"Art: Welcome aboard.

Not

"Art: Welcome aboard.

Not to be an old school marm, instead of hijacking this thread, you will get a better response from all board members by starting your own thread. This section of the website is for Mercruiser only. Place your thread in the Johnson section to get those members experienced responses. Guy"

"Been there.....done that! I d

"Been there.....done that! I did all that and more. Then I traced it to a deteriorating cork float on the gas tank sending unit. It would suck up enough little pieces of cork and plug the screen in the gas pickup tube...and stall out. After setting a while, the cork would leave the screen and run fine until it plugged up again! I drained the tank and replaced the sending unit with one utilizing a composite float, and haven't had a problem since!"

"I have had similar symtoms wi

"I have had similar symtoms with a bad anti-syphon valve, at the top of the gas tank were the fuel line hooks up."

"Are you sure it's fuel? P

"Are you sure it's fuel? Pull a plug next time it acts up. Is it wet? My experiance has been, when an engine acts up only after runnng for an extended period, it was ignition related. failing wires or connections usually have more resistance than they should, and only get worse with heat. My first thought was coil, or resistor wire, but how often do these Fail? My problem was plug wires, even though they were only 2 years old. These carbon core monsters are natural resistors and only get worse with time, and heat. The old ones ohmed out 10 times more than the new ones when cold, God knows what they were when hot! Just a thought on my experience. Let me know. Good luck, "Kritter""

Back