Logo

Omc outdrive

cathy

Contributing Member
"had to replace the impeller,

"had to replace the impeller, and the upper and lower housing needed to be seperated, now can't get the drive shaft past the pressure sealed boot, (upper housing) any suggestions?.Stumpped"

get a big screwdriver - file o

get a big screwdriver - file off any burrs...stick it through the ujoint..lube everything up with oil and work it back and forth as you push. I hate Cobras.

"pushed the rubber boot up, ca

"pushed the rubber boot up, can get the shaft in place, now, how to pull the rubber boot back over the lip,,,,,,,,do i need a special tool?"

"Okay, we need help.First time

"Okay, we need help.First time boat owners. Took her out, 1988 Winner Sport Cuddy Walk around, thought it would be fine. No, lost power and overheated. Fixed the power problem and now replaced the impeller on my omc outdrive. Can't get the u-joint shaft past the exhaust bellows, Please help........................I just want to go fishing."

"I just put my outdrive back o

"I just put my outdrive back on. If it is an old boot it is not real flexible. It is best to install a new one as to be on the safe side too to keep any water out of the drive shaft. Count the rings, will be more on one side than the other. Put the most rings at the bottom. That is so bellow will stretch when unit is raised up. With drive off, I held one side of the bellow in with my fingers as it started and can slide a screwdriver around it to get the rest over the lip. I rubbed my universal joint good with grease (not much, just coat it) before I put it back in. The boot should stay in the the lip before you put it back through. Right before it goes into the boot, give the outdrive a little bump or fast push with your hands. Should slip in withtout the boot coming out of the lip. I think it would be very hard to get the boot in after the drive is attached. Hope this helps some. Maybe someone knows an easier trick if you do not want to remove the drive again."

"Thank you Steve, My hubby loo

"Thank you Steve, My hubby looked at it again and said he should get a new boot, hose, whatever it is. You are right though , the boot is not real flexible. If all goes well I will let you know, I can't thank you enough. Happy Boating"

Back