Logo

Noise when putting in gear

J

Jaime Riggin

We have twin inboard Crusader

We have twin inboard Crusader 502's and when initially putting the port engine in gear (reverse or forward) there is no noise but soon after getting out of slip this not so good sounding noise starts. You can really hear it at low rpm. Try to explain - sounds like loose metal rattling. When throttling up you do not hear it anymore. Started end of last year but not very frequent at all. Now it is more prominent.

I have done some searching on

I have done some searching on this site and I believe my problem is the gimbal bearing.

"nope. no gimbal bearing on an

"nope. no gimbal bearing on an inboard. rattle @ low rpm is not uncommon on borg- warner gears. rough idle, or worn dampener can cause. usually noise will disapear around 850-900 R.P.M. no need to panic, it's not normally harmfull. to check dampener, gear must be removed."

"Thanks for your quick respons

"Thanks for your quick response. We put the rpm's up to what you said and put it in gear and no noise. I plan on having our mechanic check out the noise to see if he thinks anything should be done. Again, thanks for your response.

Jaime"

Have him use a vacuum gage to

Have him use a vacuum gage to set the idle mixture screws--not his ear! It's surprisingly difficult to get best idle on a marine engine that's rigidly mounted.

Jeff

"I thought I had a transmissio

"I thought I had a transmission problem but after I removed the trans, I could see the dampener had broken and missing springs. I've removed a total of 9 bolts on the bell housing but it isn't coming loose. What am I missing?

Jim"

Back