Logo

Sterndrive water pump

W

Worried Sick

"ok, please help, replaced the

"ok, please help, replaced the impeller in my 88 3.0 omc today. I am assuming i done it right. Now when i started the boat up it ran good did not overheat, this is on earmuffs not in the lake. I happened to notice that the little hole on the sterndrive, the tiny weep hole, it sprayed water out in a strong motion as it always has. Welll the more i looked at it the stream it was spraying out would get strong , then it would get weak. I took the hose off from the motor where the water comes in from the sterndrive and noticed the same thing,one minute would be strong and the next minute it would be a weak stream of water. I would say every 15 seconds it would go from strong to weak. Did i do something wrong when i replaced the impeller. Or has something else gone wrong.
Please Help
Worried sick."

Was the hose turned on full? I

Was the hose turned on full? Is it possible that the source of the water (your hose) could have been causing this? If not then possibly the pump is not sealed correctly and it could be sucking in air.

"Ok, I turned the hose only ha

"Ok, I turned the hose only halfway on, verified that it was a steady stream. So i dont think its in the garden hose. This is the first time i have replaced an impeller. I noticed a o ring around the rim, undoubtedly to seal the impeller housing. Im wondering if it did not seat. Let me ask you bob is there a certain way the impeller goes in or on? I remember i had to sort of lift up on the impeller housing to get the bolts back in . I was wondering if it had to line up or anything?"

"No the impeller only goes on

"No the impeller only goes on one way. But I'm concerned that you only turned the hose on half way, those pumps can suck up a lot of water quickly. When you turn on the hose initially before starting the engine it may appear you have lots of flow but when you start that engine up it will take the full hose. I would be trying it again with the hose on full."

"Bob, Ok i turned the garden h

"Bob, Ok i turned the garden hose full throttle, blasted the outdrive with water. Still the same, on the other hand i placed a order with this website marineengine.com for a complete impeller kit, not just the impeller. The only thing i replaced was the impeller, thus being the salesmans advice at west marine. I see now that i should have just got a kit rather than the impeller itsself. I thinking that the o ring around the impeller housing did not seat , because i did not replace it is the problem. Maybe ? Do you know of anything else it could be ?
please post back.
thanks"

"Yes...the o ring around the h

"Yes...the o ring around the housing is important, if it doesn't seal it can suck in air. Also not sure if you have power steering or not but if you do then you should have a power steering cooler in the input water line. Follow the input hose from the t-stat housing back towards the transom and if you come across a gray cylinder type assembly that will be the cooler. Pull the hoses off the input side and check for any debris in there such as old pieces of an impeller."

Thanks for all of your help bo

Thanks for all of your help bob. You do a great job at helping people on this site. Please dont stop postin.
thanks again
Anthony

"wouldn't those surges jus

"wouldn't those surges just reflect the thermostat opening and closing. The thermostat closes, the pee gets stronger. The stat opens, more water goes through the engine. Every 15 seconds sounds about right."

"I am new here but an avid boa

"I am new here but an avid boater DIY I try!!My problem sounds like this gents except I think he ment a hole on the lower unit near the intake screen. Is that a blow out plug? I say this as I installed a new impeller kit, and the engine started getting hot, I shut down and looked at the lower unit and above the intake screen there was a stream peeing out of a perfectly round hole. Is that a blow out plug?. I have yet to install another new impeller, I did remove the house from the thermostat and had no pressure. After I removed the impeller I gently back flushed the intake hose and water easily came out of the openings by the impeller. I checked the impeller in the cage and it turned, using a screw driver, and i keyed the engine and the impeller shaft does turn. So is the hole nothing and if I install another impeller will that cure it?Or is the lower unit blown??"

"that's not a "blow ou

"that's not a "blow out" - that hole is on all OMC lowers since 1978 - it just lets water drain back out of the housing I think. When you hook muffs up, you'll see a steady stream out there from municipal water pressure.
You might want to start a new thread identifying year make and model of engine and drive you have and the details of your situation."

Thanks Hy Stat however I have

Thanks Hy Stat however I have twin screws(ed) and the hole on the starboard drive seems plugged or painted over but it is weeping. Ill start a new sthread.

Back