Logo

No water flow in engine

century001

"i have an 82 century with a 3

"i have an 82 century with a 350/260 that i bought a short time ago and just got it started today. the problem is that i hooked up the hose for water to the engine and started it only to find out that i had no water moving through the engine to cool it off, i shut it down but it was a bit hot.

i need to find out why there was no water flow.

any suggestions?"

"Usually, it's because of

"Usually, it's because of a bad raw water pump impeller. If that is good and there's no water flowing, there's a blockage or the circulation pump is bad. Often, when an impeller loses its vanes, small openings downstream, which can be in the out drive or the oil cooler. If the impeller was replaced, the water tube going to the motor may not have been aligned with the water pump opening. Also, look for an oil cooler near the oil pan, on the port side of the motor, unless it's a V drive, in which case it will be on the starboard side. It'll have a pair of hydraulic lines on the side, a small plug and rubber a hose at each end. Remove the hose near the transom and feel around for debris. remove anything that's in the cooler and replace the hose unless you want to turn it over to have someone watch for water flow."

"Mike;
You will need to drop

"Mike;
You will need to drop the lower part of the drive leg (assuming its and Alpha) at least, to inspect/repair the pump impeller. While that is off, you can disconnect the cooling water feed hose to the engine at the T'stat housing in the front top, and use a garden hose to backflush water thru the drive leg to see if there is any flow blockage and any debris in the water feed piping. The hose you want comes up the front of the engine block from the port side bottom, and is a larger size hose. The only other large hose connected to the T'stat housing is short and goes to the belt driven circulation pump immediately below the housing.
Rod"

Mike:

I hooked up my garden

Mike:

I hooked up my garden hose that has an in-line on/off valve. I wasn't getting much water flow until I realized the valve was barely 1/4 open. It killed the impeller but no engine damage since I caught it in time. Boy did I feel like a dope.
Guy

Back