Logo

43 stopped running will not start

M

mike sargent

"I was running at 5200 RPMs fo

"I was running at 5200 RPMs for over a mile when my 1999 4.3 died. changed coil, fuel filter, drained gas and refilled with new. Coil shows 12+ volts from po. to ground but when check from Pos. and Neg. of the coil shows zero volts with the key turned on. no spark to the plugs."

"Mike:
TB ignition does not

"Mike:
TB ignition does not ground the neg. side of the coil.

Tests for TB ignition: W/ignition key on AND BILGE WELL VENTILATED OF GAS FUMES!!!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to the white/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts is present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributor and connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green lead from the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/green lead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if you get spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and check it again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensor inside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignition amplifier is shot and must be replaced.

Guy"

Back