Logo

NORMAL OPERATING TEMP FOR A 23 L OMC

intrepid

"My son just purchased a 1988

"My son just purchased a 1988 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3 litre (118 HP?) OMC. He was just out on his maiden voyage and called to tell me that his temperature is running around 175 degrees. I am not sure if this is normal for that engine; the old Mercruiser 470 I/O that I had used to run at around 160-170 degrees util I swapped the 3 inch heat exchanger for a 4 inch one. Is 175 degrees considered normal operating temp for that engine? I was by himself on the boat, so lightly loaded, and when he brought the speed back down the temperature stayed at 175... so maybe its normal... just having this itchy feeling that it is a little bit high."

"Need to know the type of cool

"Need to know the type of cooling it has, fresh water or raw water. Fresh has a heat exchanger so they can run antifreeze in the engine and run it a little warmer (170-180), if it's raw water cooled, water comes in through outdrive, circulates through engine and back out exhaust they generally have a 160 in them so 175 would be a bit warm."

I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri w

I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri with 2.3 liter (correct HP is 128)cobra and it does run at 175 degrees. When I bought the boat it would never get up to operating temperature because the previous owners removed the thermostat and never replaced it. I bought the correct "marine" thermostat for mine and it's been running at 175 degrees ever since. Now if I could just fix my carb issues....

I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri w

I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri with 2.3 liter (correct HP is 128)cobra and it does run at 175 degrees. When I bought the boat it would never get up to operating temperature because the previous owners removed the thermostat and never replaced it. I bought the correct "marine" thermostat for mine and it's been running at 175 degrees ever since. Now if I could just fix my carb issues....
My 87 liner just overheated today. Haven’t looked into yet but was wondering what stat # you installed. Larry

Back