Logo

Overheating 283

billrush

"I have twin 283's in a 19

"I have twin 283's in a 1961 30' Open Sea Skiff. Last fall, on the last trip of the season,to storage, I could clearly see steam from the exhaust of one engine and not the other. Water pump empellers were replaced last summer (06). I just got a digital temperature reader. Yesterday after about 5 minutes at 2000 rpm, the port engine was running 45 degress warmer than the starboard engine. This was measured at a point on top of the engine, just forward of the carbs. The starboard engine read 80 degrees f and the port engine read about 125. Water temperature here in Minnesota is about 65 degrees now. I also measured both sides of the starboard engine and they were similar. Any suggestions of how to determine what the problem is here? Thanks"

"Bill,
The only time I have s

"Bill,
The only time I have seen this ! It was a head gasket.
Check for water in the oil.
Check for oil in the water, not really, but the oil will smell foul, burned.
Check for water in the cylinders
Check compression, I have been told that it will appear the same if you slip a bearing as well.
But I have never seen that.

Wish I have better to offer.
Lee"

BOTH of those temps are way to

BOTH of those temps are way too cold. Are there t-stats in those motor?

Jeff

"Another one of those, huh? No

"Another one of those, huh? Not sure of what to say, other than your motors are running too cold, and that I have no idea what the steam is from, other than a blown head gasket or seriously plugged exhaust riser. Did you sweep the entire exhaust with the tem gun? You might spot the problem area.

JEff"

Back