Logo

30L Belt Squealing

carter54

"I have a 200 Mercruiser 3.0L

"I have a 200 Mercruiser 3.0L and had it out for the first time this season today. Whenever I engage the Trim button I got a squeal I opened up the cover and it looked like the belt was skipping over the alternator wheel. I checked the belt tension and it is very tight. I was considering replacing the belt but the routing looks impossible. It looks like I would have to remove the engine from one of the mounts to get it over all of the Pully's it needs to get to. Any thoughts on this?

I also noticed a small amount of water coming from behind the pulley for the engine circulating pump. Do you guys think this could be part of the issue?

Thanks in advance,
Chris"

"only need to remove the 2 mou

"only need to remove the 2 mounting bolts on the alt side of the motor. remove the spacer and replace the belt, install a second as a spare and tie it out of the way.that water leak sounds like the pump seal is shot dripping water over everything including the belt.time for a circ pump replacement."

"I have a Alpha 1 and have had

"I have a Alpha 1 and have had continuous problems with the alternator belt. I have a 1997 (purchased new, very low hours) and have had to replace the belt every 3 seasons. When the belt begins to squeal I adjust it, but eventually run out of adjustment and belt keeps wearing thin and riding lower and lower in the pulley and squealing. I cannot visually see any alignment problem. Has anyone else seen this problem? How to I correct it?

Thanks - Brad"

Yeah I figured I needed a circ

Yeah I figured I needed a circ pump when I saw the water. Do you have to lift or prop up the engine in any fashion to remove those bolts and the spacer? Also there is still quite a bit of room to tighten it should I try cranking it tighter or am I just wasting my time?

Thanks for all the advice.
Chris

Back