Logo

OMC Thermostat Question

travcam

"Maybe you kind folks can stra

"Maybe you kind folks can straighten me out - my forgetfulness knows no bounds...
I have an 1989 OMC Cobra Ford V-8 (351). Last year when I pulled the boat from the Ohio River for winter storage, I winterized the boat myself.
I am a new boat owner and this was the first time I had done it...and I procrastinated and waited until it was cold to do it... so I was rushed.

Anyway, I ran the antifreeze though after flushing all the water out of the cooling system and I *thought* I had removed the thermostat for replacement from the entrance of the manifold. Thinking old engine... I've never replaced it... already have it out... lots of crap in this river... yada yada ya...
Well, now we're in spring... and I can't find the thermostat I thought I removed and upon more inspection, I see a thermostat up high in the neck of the thermostat assembly.
So, my question is... does this model have two thermostats or one? The Clymer shop book only shows one, but I thought it best to ask.
The gunk line around the entrance to the manifold at the base of the thermostat housing makes me think there was one there too in addition to the one higher up in the housing, but it would have to be one of those that was low clearance, like a 18-3554 (Sierra).

If you have this engine and can add some insight to this newbie, I'd appreciate it!"

Back