Logo

AQ125A Coil problemsfuel

"Think I am getting closer her

"Think I am getting closer here to narrowing down the problem of why this engine won't start.

The I tested today after using some tips from El Pescador here earlier. By connecting a jump lead from the + terminal on the battery to the + terminal on the coil. Still nothing happened. I checked the resistance with a multimeter and noticed that the primary resistance is higher than it should be about 4.3ohms. So does it sound like its the coil?

Secondly, for fuel not getting to the carb, I believe the fuel pump may be faulty. Anyway to confirm this? Additionally I am going to dissemble the carb and replace the fuel strainer that or get a carb rebuild kit.

Any additional advice here would be awesome
Getting closer I just know it!"

"Deathhawk81, 4.3 ohms looks h

"Deathhawk81, 4.3 ohms looks high, but first you should find what is the resistance of the multimieter leads, then substract it from the final reading. So before measuring the coil's resistance, short circuit both leads and see what reading do you get. If it is not zero, you have to substract that reading from the coil's reading.

Regarding the carb not getting fuel, the pump should deliver a pressure between 2 and 4 psi. You can disconnect the discharge pipe and attach a pressure gauge, then crank the engine and see how much pressure do you get. Also, you could have a blockage or an air leak on the suction line between the pump and the fuel tank. To eliminate that possibility, you can either connect the pump suction line to a jerrycan with fresh gas; or istall between the tank's suction line and the fuel pump a priming bulb (same as the ones used in outboards), then prime the line to you ensure that fuel from the tank has reached the fuel pump."

"Heya El Pescador,
Replaced

"Heya El Pescador,
Replaced the coil, still not getting a spark. The condenser is new. And we verified that the boat's coil had an internal resistor instead of an external. Tried placing the spark plug up against the engine block to try to see if it would spark and no go there.

I say for the moment we work on this issue first then move on to fuel.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!"

"How do you have your coil wir

"How do you have your coil wired? There should be 3 wires going to your coil. The red (or purple or green depending on your installation) goes to the (+) of the coil, and this is the wire that comes from the ignition switch. Then, there are two wires going to the (-) of the coil: one is grey (it goes to the tachometer) and the other one is usually black and it goes to the points. There should be continuity between the (-) of the coil and ground when the points are closed, and no continuity when they are open.

Is the above your case? If all OK, then turn the ignition key on and measure the voltage between the (+) of the coil and ground: it should be 12V (battery voltage). If not, then either the ignition switch is NG or the wire between the coil and the ignition switch is faulty or not connected to the switch.

If the above is OK, pull the middle ignition wire from the distributor (leave it connected to the coil) and keep it about 1/2 inch from ground in the block, then try to start the engine. If there is spark, then the coil is OK. If not, the coil is NG or the ignition wire is defective.

If all OK and you are still not getting spark to the plugs, then your problem is either bad distributor cap, bad rotor, bad points or faulty ignition wires and/or plugs. Or, due to some reason, the distributor is not turning."

"Heya El Pescador. That is cor

"Heya El Pescador. That is correct, the above wiring job is correct. The purple goes to the + end. And there are two wires going to the negative end, one grey and one black. We attempted to hold the middle wire coming out of the coil from the block to see if we got spark and we got nothing. So that would then signify, bad ignition switch or that the coil isn't grounded properly?

I'll check on the rest of it either today or tomorrow. Thank you again El Pescador for your help, I'll tell ya it has greatly been appreciated.
"

"If you don't get any spar

"If you don't get any spark, check that you have 12V between the (+) of the coil and ground (- of the battery). If yes and you don't get any spark, then 1)The coil is NG; 2) The points are NG or not properly set; 3) The engine block is not grounded to the (-) of the battery.

Also, remember that the coil is only grounded when the points close."

I did find a wire marked resis

I did find a wire marked resistor coming off the alternator. Now could that be the resistor wire that is leading from the alternator to the coil?

Back