Logo

Mercruiser 470 not starting

jtbeees

The engine will turn over very

The engine will turn over very well but I am not getting any spark past the coil which is new Ideas?

See if your shift interrupt sw

See if your shift interrupt switch is adjusted correctly.Make sure it is in the valley.if it is not that will not give you any spark.

"If it has a Run/Kill switch a

"If it has a Run/Kill switch at the control console, make sure it is not inadvertently been moved to the Kill position. That messed me up for the better part of 2 days once.
Rod"

The shift interrupter switch i

The shift interrupter switch is in the valley and the boat does not have a kill switch Thank you for your ideas do you have any more
Jim

"Dead coil, dead points, bad d

"Dead coil, dead points, bad distributor wiring? Put an ohmeter across your interrupt switch and make sure it is open when the roller is in the valley."

Ohmeter is showing open when t

Ohmeter is showing open when the roller is in the valley and closed when roller is out of the valley. Coil is new. I have no spark from the coil. Any other sugestions? Thanks for the help so far.
Jim

"Jim:
If it has a points ig

"Jim:
If it has a points ignition, the voltage at the purple coil wire should be about 6 VDC or less. No points ign. then there should be 12 VDC. If no voltage at the coil, check the choke and see if it is there. If it is, then the wire for the choke to the coil is open. Points ignition takes a resister wire. Thunderbolt Ign. uses standard 16 ga. wire. If you don't have a points ignition, run a jumper from the + terminal at the battery to the coil + terminal to see if it will start. If it won't produce a spark, the coil may be bad but the Thunderbolt ign. module could have failed. Test it per the manual. BIG $$ to replace it. Guy"

"If you have Power to the &#40

"If you have Power to the (+) side of the Coil,......
Either the Points are Bad, or they have No Ground......"

"It has points ignition I will

"It has points ignition I will try and check tomorrow. Thanks for all your knowledge and info. If I change the points to electronic ignition with a kit do I still need the resistor wire coming from the choke or does that need to be changed? Again thanks for all your help, Jim"

Thank you to all it turned out

Thank you to all it turned out to be a loose connection on the resistor wire comming from the choke to the coil loose on the choke side. Again Thank you to all Jim

I have a mercrusier 470 I'

I have a mercrusier 470 I've installed a pertronix 1146 ignition kit in the boat the boat ran well for about 1/2 hr and then no spark at all I replaced the coil on speck with a non external resistor oil filled unit still no spark after reading a blog I tested the new coil + side to gnd with a good battery sys in the run pos I have 7.23 volts no spark at all with the pertronix sys red removed I have 12+ volts has the ignitor failed or ????? thanks for your future help

Back