Logo

1989 Mercruiser WOT only 3300 RPM

wellcraftnova230

Contributing Member
"Hello All,
I have recent

"Hello All,
I have recently placed a new 350 long block into my boat and had it put together by a marine service dealership. I took it out today and it ran fine at the lower speeds (below 3000 RPM) then when I opened it up you could hear it sucking air but it did not take off. The prop is correct for this boat and timing was checked, could it be the Rochester 4bbl? Before the new engine I was getting 4600 RPM at WOT, that seems like a large drop in RPM to be just the carb. Also, when I shut it off for a minute and try to start it is very difficult and requires me to give it some throttle. It also started to miss at 3300 RPM and the RPM dropped about 100 RPM but then it cleared up with continued running. Any suggestions? Thanks a million guys! Jon"

Could be ignition or carb; but

Could be ignition or carb; but more likely the latter. I would take it back to the dealership and make it their problem until it runs right. What kind of breakin did you do? What did they suggest? Was it a complete bobtail drop in or did they assemble it from a short block?
Rod

Back