Logo

Alpha outdrive upper oil seal replacement

dyoungmc

The oil seal at the top of the

The oil seal at the top of the lower unit drive shaft is gone and I need to replace it. The diagrams show entry from the top of the outdrive. The worry is that special tools are needed. True or not? Are there work arounds for those tools if I have the time and patience? I tried to reinstall the lower unit after replacing the impeller and it would not go so I looked up and saw the debris of the seal inthe shaft hole. Thus knew the seal was gone.

"I just hade the same problem

"I just hade the same problem on my outdrive. I was going to do it myself, but after checking around I found a marina to install the new seal, check the impeller, and the bill was under $100 for parts and labor. I was told that it was possible to do it myself. But I tried dissasembling an old outdrive to see how hard it was, and I thought I would be better of spending the $100."

"It would have taken me an hou

"It would have taken me an hour at most if the upper oil seal for the shaft had not gotten in the way. Now I have to take the top gear system out an replace the seal. I read on www.amarket.com that if I am careful the shims can be handled without tools and the seal driven in place with a two by four carefully used. I am mechanically inclined but far from a mechanic but this has been fun and cost me about $50 dollars so far."

I've rebuilt both my Alpha

I've rebuilt both my Alpha's. I bought most of the special tools but just used an appropiate size socket and small ball peen to seat those seals. Apply a little 24c or perfect seal around the outside and lightly seat. Just make sure not to damage the seal.

"Not sure we are talking about

"Not sure we are talking about the same seal but I replaced my impeller not long ago and noticed the seal where the shaft goes up into upper unit was chewed up . I managed to replace the seal from below. Took a bit of fooling around with a set of picks to get old one out and needed to use a seal installer with a extra long handle to reach way up in there to install new one. I`m lucky, my son-in-law is a mobile forklift mechanic and he and his service truck full of tools have saved me a lot of money and headaches.
lame.gif
"

Just to see what the local dea

Just to see what the local dealer would do the upper seal for I called yesterday and they want about $300 because they said that you can not replace the seal without pulling the outdrive and taking the forward shaft and gears out of the unit. Then you have to pressure test the unit once reassembled.

True or false?

Back