Logo

Installing pre alpa 470 outdrive question

"I bout a used outdrive and I

"I bout a used outdrive and I need to install it. Are there any tricks to it. Or do you just put in the input shaft, turn the prop to line the splines up until it goes into place. And tighten the 6 bolts. Do I need any type of alignment tool?? Also I bought the outdrive of ebay. I noticed A leak when i pressure tested it, so I brought it in and had them liik over the entire outdrive. I also got a stainless prop in perfect shape with the outdrive. I have a total of $450 in the outdrive and prop after shipping and repairs. Do you think that is a fair price???"

"Sounds like a good deal.You h

"Sounds like a good deal.You have to shift the boat into foward gear to get the drive on.Make sure you clean the splines with a pick to get the old grease off, then put some new grease on it and it will help it slide in alot better."

"Give the U joints a few shots

"Give the U joints a few shots of marine grease first. Check the gimbal bearing by turning it by hand to make sure it is not rough. Any roughness at all is cause to replace it, and this is the time to do it. Then grease both the splines and the O rings on the input shaft. Put the remote control in forward gear and also the outdrive shift shaft; turn the prop CCW to lock it in forward. Use a new gasket set with a thin film of lubriplate or 2-4-C on the faces. Make sure the water passage O ring is in place; use yellow weatherstrip cement to hold it. Make sure the shift crank roller engages the shift slider. Liberally grease the shift slider mechanism and check it carefully as you fit the drive into place. It works best to block the drive at about the right height to slide it in, so you don't have to lift it. If you did not disturb the engine mounts the alignment is likely OK. As you slide it in, do not force it; it should go easily by hand. There will be some resistance as the O rings slide into the gimbal bearing. Once seated, progressively tighten the six nuts to 45 ft lbs. Check forward and reverse for proper operation. Reconnect the trim cylinders.
Fill the drive with Merc high performance gear lube from the bottom until if flows out the top vent. Then insert the vent plug and give it another few squirts. Then put in the bottom plug. Test run on a hose. Be sure to check the lube oil level after the first hour or two, as it will drop as the air bubbles come out, and you don't want to run the upper gears dry.
Rod"

"When I instal the outdrive if

"When I instal the outdrive if I dont have a gasket set. Can I use silicone? Also I didnt order a new oring for the water passage. Will the old one work or I have an oring kit with all sizes. Would one of these orings work? or is it a special oring? I just want to get my boat up and running this weekend and I wasnt thinking. I should of ordered a gasket set and new oring. Do you think I can get by with silicone, and an oring from a oring kit?"

"GET THE GASKET KIT. leave sil

"GET THE GASKET KIT. leave silicone in the bathroom, or wherever you use it. o-rings come with. if your dealer is closed, any boating supply will have it. only about 6 bucks!"

Dave:
Did you drop the lowe

Dave:
Did you drop the lower half and check the impeller assy.? Now is the time and the impeller is cheap. You can get a replacement O-ring at a reputable auto parts supplier. You'll need vent and fill plug seals for the oil change. Make sure you use a pick or tiny slotted (flat) blade screwdriver to remove the old rings in the holes of the screws. Guy

Yes I brought it in and they w

Yes I brought it in and they went through it and replaced the impeller and pressure tested it. They had to replace 2 seals. Im talking about were the outdrive bolts up to the boat. When I took it off it didnt look like there was a gasket there. But after asking i was told there is a gasket and an o-ring for the water passage. Unless they misunderstood me and thought I was talking about inside the outdrive. Im was talking about were the outdrive slides onto the boat over the 6 studs. Is there a gasket between the outdrine and were it mounts to? And around the water passage? I also wanted to thank everyone. I would be lost without everyones help. Thanks-Dave

"I went to the local marina an

"I went to the local marina and they had the gasket I was wondering about. They didnt have the o-ring , but I think the auto parts store will. Thanks for all the help. I will let you know how it turns out. Dave"

Back