Logo

Oilfuel mixture

Can someone please verify what

Can someone please verify what the mixture should be so I don't wreck my motor..I've heard 50/1...30/1....24/1...what is it supposed to be? I'm not sure what kind of bearings are in this motor either. Model 5302A

You have a 1963 5.5hp Evinrude

You have a 1963 5.5hp Evinrude. It would be best to use the original OMC recommended mixture of 24/1 which is 1 quart of 50/1 TCW-III oil to 6 gallons of gasoline.

Thanks Joe...I've been run

Thanks Joe...I've been running it with 50/1 but for about 1 hour in total. Could I just add the difference in oil to the fuel and is it possible that I might of damaged anything or do you think it will be ok. Thanks again.

"It's unlikely that any da

"It's unlikely that any damage has occurred. In years past OMC issued a bulletin that all their engines could use the 50/1 mixture, excepting the 1957 7.5hp model..... and many boaters were using that 50/1 mixture in all the older models regardless of hp.

Yes, just add the difference in oil.

However as time went by, there came about a great amount of discussion as more than a normal amount of powerheads were being rebuilt in a given time period.

Keeping it short, a rule of thumb was accepted that any engine that had a powerhead that incorporated "ALL" needle, roller, and/or ball bearings on its moving parts (crankshaft, connecting rod, wrist pin) could safely use the 50/1 mixture...... and any engine that DID NOT should use the 24/1 mixture.

Now, whether this had anything to do with the drop in number of powerhead failures or not is not for me to decide.... but why risk it."

Back