Logo

Died on the water and towed her in

juggie472

"Well the Rinker (2003 5.7

"Well the Rinker (2003 5.7 thunderbolt 5 ignition 2bbl carb electric fuel pump alpha outdrive) ran well last night in the drive for 20 minutes with the muffs on. Took her out today with a friend and his boat. She ran great all day with no issues. Then on the way in, she stalled and died and wouldnt restart. No spark and she kept popping the dash fuse for the ignition switch when I tried to start her. I got her home and I checked all the wires on the ignition system and rerouted a wire that ran to the distributor and bang shes running again. But, she will run for about 5 minutes and then die. I can immediatly restart and the same thing. Any suggestions? She ran great for about an hour and a half on the river. Then trouble. I dont think its the fuel pump or a fuel issue due to the immediate restart. Thanks for the advice in advance"

"Jason
I think, as you found

"Jason
I think, as you found before, it was a corrosion issue with the wiring that was your problem with the fuel pump, you may well be looking at another wiring issue now.
Start at one end and have a very good look at your wiring harness from one end to the other, pay particular attention to any damaged areas of the harness where it may have been rubbing up against something or where the harness is pulled very tight and appears to be stretching, look for cracks in the insulation around the wires or where the insulation may have been worn through.
Check all your harness plugs and earths for corosion and clean as required .
See how you go with that.
Cheers
Peter c"

"Check all your grounds again.

"Check all your grounds again. They can give you gray hairs since if one ground is lost, current looks for another route and fuses and breakers start to blow and trip. Look for a loose 12 Volt ignition wire at the coil or a loose connector. Guy"

"Well, I bit the bullit and to

"Well, I bit the bullit and took her to the marina I bought her at. They found the cannon plug for the fuel pump had a loose connection and several ground wires not installed properly. I also had them re- rebuild the carb to make sure it is correct. I am picking her up tommorrow and hope she runs as good as she did two years ago!"

Back