Logo

Similar to Gregs Post Do You Have a Good Engine

legalsales

"Hi all, I'm new to the bo

"Hi all, I'm new to the board here.

I've been reading this board and others as I am about to embark on a major project and want to do the best I can for the long haul.

#1 I'm looking for reliability.

Who has a BB that just runs and runs, that you would highly recommend for reliability?

My options are 454, 502, and 496 as I see it.

I've read all the threads, but as the nature of the beast would have it, we are mostly talking about things that don't work. I'm guessing the guy with the one that does work is out on the water, not out on the boards

I'd appreciate recommendations from "personal experience" on these engines. The 454 and the 502 would be new base long blocks, the 496 would be a new bobtail.
I'm not asking about the merits of price, only reliability and joy of ownership. Have one you like?"

"Considering that All 3 motors

"Considering that All 3 motors are evolved from the Same Base motor,.........

I'd pick the 496, only because it's the Newest of the breed......"

"The long blocks will still us

"The long blocks will still use the attachments from the old engine - thus the reliability is linked to those items.

The bobtail gets you all new parts, with a warranty for a few months. This comes at a steep price, however.

I was in the same 'boat' as you. I made the decision to build an engine from scratch. I have purchased a perfect block already machined (to tighter tolerances than stock), from there I will be putting in superior components with a focus on durability and longevity - with the added bonus of more HP and efficiency. Factory parts are manufactured with a focus on profit - all else falls to second place and beyond.

With that said, I would probably go with a bobtail 496 if I had the money. I like fuel injection and computerized engine monitoring (smartcraft).

your #1 requirement of reliability falls more on the owner than the engine itself."

"All marine inboard and IO &#4

"All marine inboard and IO (for the most part) are GM engines (volvo, merc, crusader, etc...) they just use different attachments.

Call Doug at dougrussell.com"

Back