Logo

38L IO

nsfireman

I have a 1984 3.8 v6 When I tu

I have a 1984 3.8 v6 When I turn the key to start it clicks like the starter gear is engaging but does not turn. Then if I turn the engine over with a socket it clicks and disengages. I tried a new battery. The starter I put on it was used but supposed to be in good condition. Any suggestions?

"any connections getting warm?

"any connections getting warm? like battery terminals? or the starter solenoid. I've had to loosen the starter bolts and retighten sometimes to get the pinion clearance right. They don't recommend shims on a chevy V6, but loosening and retightening usually works...
You want to make sure it's not hanging into the pinion after it starts- that can start a fire.
Not all starters are the same - the "new to you" starter's pinion might be binding in the ring gear and not allowing the pinion out far enough for the solenoid contacts to close."

"Oh, and make sure you have th

"Oh, and make sure you have the support bracket on the starter. Puts a lot of stress on the 2 mounting bolts if you don't. Some starters don't have a long enough stud, so people ignore it, but you don't want broken bolts. On the 3.8 it makes that 1 block drain hard to get at but it should be there. It also helps prevent binding by holding up the heavy end of the starter."

Thanks for the advice. I had

Thanks for the advice. I had the starter checked and it is not good. So much for a good deal on e-bay. It should be back from the shop tomorrow and then we'll see what else I need.

Back