Logo

Power steering pump

dawgs

Regular Contributor
86 merc 170...4 cyl....theres

86 merc 170...4 cyl....theres a crack in my pump...can i use a used pump from an outo or do i have to go marine? if i can...what should i look for?

"I would think you might be ab

"I would think you might be able to match up a suitable pump at an auto wrecker. They are not electrical, so no issues on sparking, etc. I imagine the operating pressures are similar to that of an auto power steering system.
I gather you have priced out a Merc part, and found that to be rather ridiculous?
Rod"

"SG:
Give Rod's idea a

"SG:
Give Rod's idea a shot and save some money. I always go there in my worst clothing, dirtiest hat and oldest car (don't look like a banker) and make them a rediculus offer WITH CASH IN HAND which usually closes the deal for what you ask.

If they counter offer, PAUSE AND ACT AS IF YOU ARE NOT SURE, say "I don't know", Bubba's (use a real name) junkyard said he has it on the shelf for (less than their offer), then tell them you only have $10 more cash or tell them you'll meet them half way.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PAY MORE THAN 50% THE VALUE OF A REMAN. UNIT. Take your own tools to a junkyard; it's usually a you want it, you get it yourself. Don't accept it if you have to take it off and their is no fluid in the pump--seals will probably be shot.

No luck; check with one of the this site's sponsors or NAPA Auto Parts carries marine application parts or www.ebasicpower.com; they have one for $220.

Take the pump off and take it to an generic autoparts dealer and see if they can match it up to a reman. unit.

Guy"

Back