Logo

Uneven CompressionWill running motor hurt it

tivey34

"I have a 1985 Evinrude 150 th

"I have a 1985 Evinrude 150 that I thought runs great till I got a compression tester and checked my compression.I thought motor pushed my boat fine.Readings are as follows...top left down, 75,75,75, top right down,100,53,54.I have been told as long as I dont hear anything, run it at will.What is you guys opinion?"

"Who is your advisor??????A mo

"Who is your advisor??????A motor like that is on its last legs and if you tear it down now it may be repairable , if you keep running it it will soon be TOTAL SCRAP!!!!"

"My 235 had similar numbers.

"My 235 had similar numbers. Tore it down and rebuilt it. What I found was that on the a "down cylinders" the rings were frozen in the piston grooves. Once they got like that the pistons began to disintegrate, serious scoring of the cylinder walls, pieces of metal all over making the top of the piston look like someone hit it with a shotgun. Although it still ran ok, I realized that it was just a matter of time until it seized up. I would try a heavy-duty carbon removal, such as intense Seafoam treatment. If the numbers don't come up on the low cylinders, then I agree with not-a-student."

"Toby..... Your advisor is ass

"Toby..... Your advisor is assuming that you simply intend to run that engine until it can run no more due to its age. If this is the case, run it.

However, if you intend to keep this engine for some time yet, this is the time to stop using it as it is due for either a overhaul or at the very least.... head gaskets.

First thing to do..... Remove both cylinder heads so that you can inspect the pistons, cylinder walls, etc.

Let us know what you find."

Thanks guys.I am planning on p

Thanks guys.I am planning on pulling the heads soon and checking things out.i will update on here when i get done.Will be a while for I have not got the money at this time.Thanks

Back