Logo

Mercruiser stalls when shifting wonbt restart

R

Richard Mudarri

"My 94 350 Mercruiiser Magnum

"My 94 350 Mercruiiser Magnum runs great but sometimes stalls when shifting (frequently) and then will not restart until ? whenever it decides to? Recently I was told that the problem is probably with the interupter cable and that a stronger spring could solve the problem or replace the cable.

These problems began after the engine was out to replace the flywheel.

The boat is in storage - still shrink wrapped and unfortunately every place is buzy and can't look at it for a while. I want to use the boat now but I don't want to get stuck.

I would like to attempt to fix this myself. Is this a complicated job? Are there numerous possible issues? or could it be a simple spring or cable adjustment. How do I identify the shift interrupter cable, spring and switch? How would you determine which is causing the problem?

Thanks for any reply."

"It's an Alpha drive, righ

"It's an Alpha drive, right?
One easy way to tell is next time it stalls take a look at the roller on the interrupt switch. It is supposed to be in the center of the "V" notch in neutral. If it's not, it will cut out the coil. If it's centered, and it won't start, check the switch with a tester to make sure it is open. If it's shorted, you need a new switch."

"Thanks Rod and Guy:
Yes it i

"Thanks Rod and Guy:
Yes it is an Alpha. Your feedback is very helpful. It seems that my problem is likely with the roller on the interrupter switch.

After it stalls, can you manually move the roller to the center of the "V" notch so it will start?

Also the website picture doesn't show the interrupter switch, cables or rollers but it does show an "actuating lever assembly #3" and "switch assembly #18" (parts no longer available) Then it links to a MerCruiser service bulletin that discusses new shift plate kits - sounds very complicated? Is it?

Thanks again - you guys and this site are great!

Rich"

"Richard;
You can manually mo

"Richard;
You can manually move the actuating arm to recenter the switch roller, but you should not have to. It should never hang up off center. It should always be centered except for a fraction of a second each time you shift OUT of gear, when it will momentarily kill the ignition.
It sounds like your shift linkage may need adjusting, or your lower shift cable may need replacing. Maybe it is as simple as needing some grease on the cable sleeve ends to get them working smoothly again. Adjusting the linkages is not for the inexperienced; I suggest you take it to an experienced Merc mechanic for this. He should be able to get it sorted out in minutes. The procedure is covered in other posts on this site, however, if you are feeling brave.
Seems odd to me that parts for a '94 are no longer available. I would get a second opinion. This should be a standard Alpha shift interrupt, and there are thousands of them around.
Rod"

Check your cable run for sharp

Check your cable run for sharp bends or kinks. Last year I replaced a bilge pump and while doing so I moved the lower shift cable to route the wires. The engine would stall when ever I put it into reverse. After moving the cable back to the original position it started to work properly. This was only an inch or so.

Back