Logo

2002 Johnson 90 HP

J

JayC

"I'm looking for a new pro

"I'm looking for a new propeller for a 2002 Johnson outboard, 90 HP, model J90VLSNF. The old prop was stolen so I dont know what size and pitch was on it. I'm looking to buy a stainless stain prop. Any suggestions on what brand and pitch I should buy?"

"Pitch is about more than just

"Pitch is about more than just the motor. It should "fit" your boat. A prop calculator will give you a good place to start. You need to know the total weight of your boat (including gear/motor/persons etc) and the length on the waterline. That with your engine specs will help determine the correct pitch for your set-up. If you can post the boat weight/length, I'll look up the rest and stuff it in my prop calc for you if you are interested..."

"I think it weights about 2300

"I think it weights about 2300 lbs. Its a 1991, 17' Boston Whaler Outrage."

"Ran some numbers for you and

"Ran some numbers for you and consistently got one of two answers (tried a bunch of variables to try and cover all situations). Alot of it depends on load weight. If you tend to "load up" with gear and the like, a 13 3/4" X 15 pitch is recommended, otherwise it is calling for a 13 1/4" (or 13 3/8") X 17 pitch. Personally, I would go for the 17 pitch. Things to consider also. These recommendations are for for "uncupped" 3 blade props. Going with cupped blades adds about 1 to the pitch number and a 4 blade will add about 1 as well (so a 4 blade cupped 17 pitch will run like a 3 blade 19 pitch - more or less). Hope this gives you a place to start."

"Sorry - as for "brands&#3

"Sorry - as for "brands" - I would stick to one of the well established companies - they seem to be all close in quality. I personally prefer Solas, but there is a number of good ones out there. Do a bit of research - the prop is important and usually overlooked unless there is a problem with it.."

Back