Logo

Starting problems 93 Merc 15 hp electric start

J

Jerry Brown

Starter quit. Starts OK with

Starter quit. Starts OK with pull start. Cleaned all batt. connections at engine and on batt. No go. Can hear clicking when I turn the key to start. I assume thats a solenoid working OK. I had the starter tested at local auto parts store. They said it was bad. I had it rebuilt at a reputable shop in Portland OR and put it back on the engine. No start. Cleaned the batt. cable connections again and it turned the engine over fine. Shut it off. Today I was prepping the engines for winter and tried starting the 15 hp and all I get is the click of the solenoid.

I know its not the battery as it starts the 135 Merc just fine. Both engines are hooked to the same starting battery. I am pretty sure its not the cables or connections as I have recleaned them and there is a healthy click from the solenoid when the key is turned to the start position. I think its not the starter as it worked fine after being rebuilt. The odds of it failing after one start must be extremely low. I don't want to go out and start buying parts like a solenoid until I diagnose accurately. Please help.

" use cables to bypass the sol

" use cables to bypass the solenoid (best not to have any fuel leaks), this will verify condition of starter. "

" The solenoid is the place to

" The solenoid is the place to start, cheaper than the rebuild of your starter I would imagine.....? The "click" you hear might be the solenoid "not" working...? Good luck. "

" Jerry...Do you own a test li

" Jerry...Do you own a test light? It is really quit simple, check to see if you have power to the incoming (red wire) side of the soliniod. If so turn the key to the start position and check to see if you have power from the soliniod to the starter motor. If you have power there the starter is bad,if no power than replace the soliniod...DJ "

Back