Logo

270 outdrive question

jethro

"I have a 270 outdrive that I

"I have a 270 outdrive that I changed the oil in. I was able to get the oil drain screw out and the dipstick tube out of the top but I couldn't get the cover off for the fill hole. So I filled it up at the dipstick on the top of the drive, this will work won't it? my problem is that the capacity is 2.8 quarts. I was only able to get 2 quarts in. When I check the oil level it is pretty high on the dipstick about 1 inch above the line. Will this damage anything running with to much oil or did it get all the way in the drive? should I drain some out. or maybe run it a little bit and then check it again?"

"when you say "cover off t

"when you say "cover off the fill hole" what hole was that? did you drain the foot from the lower
screw ? if so this should have been where you refill from as well. when you pump the oil in from the extreme bottom then it will push the air up and out through the top hole as it fills.

let it set for a couple hours with the dipstick left out and go back to check the level, when filling through the top
you could have got an air pocket,
although the air will bleed off as the oil settles"

"Tim and Jeff,
According to m

"Tim and Jeff,
According to my Clymer manual (I have a 280 outdrive I assume it's similar to the 270) you have three holes. The drain hole at the bottom of the leg. The oil dipstick at the top and an oil fill hole underneath the shifter cover. It's a little under an inch wide and has a fiber gasket. The manual says you can fill via either the oil filler or the dipstick. The dipstick hole will take longer because it's a smaller hole. You drain the leg vertically although I tilt mine a couple of times incase any oil settles in horizontal places that won't drain. Then I tilt the drive up for filling inot the filler hole. I just put in what the manual specs tell me to in spec (10-40wt) and volume (I believe 2.8 qts?). Then I tilt it back down vertical to check the level.

I am interested to know if extra oil in the leg is harmful because mine was an inch above the full line when I got it and have no idea how long it's been run like that. I wouldn't assume anyting too bad because more oil is better than no oil."

"Puget, I'm learning thing

"Puget, I'm learning things myself all the time,
and it's good to know that there is in fact a fill hole larger then the dip stick hole, man that takes for ever, the reason I say fill from
bottom hole is this is the way I did for the 1st time on mine, and it went in quite easy,I didn't know about the 3rd fill hole.
wink.gif
I started out pumping the oil in from the bottom but only put in 1 Qt then
I went ahead and put the screw back in and figured I would fill it the rest way through the top hole, that being the (dip stick hole)
Wrong Idea! because this takes like I said
-"for ever"- and does trap air inside for a while,
BTW . it took right at 2.8 Qts to fill mine
Ha!
I'm going to look for the fill hole for my unit,
say it's behind the shift cable cover!?"

"On the 270 drive, the fill ho

"On the 270 drive, the fill hole is below the shift cable cover (not under it). Here is the page out of the V/P AQ130C User Manual that describes the drive oil change procedure:

81289.jpg
270_oil

"jeff, please excuse me, My in

"jeff, please excuse me, My intent is not to
hi-jack your post, but we both can find out some
things we need to know, up untill now I was not sure what outdrive unit I have, But now i'm sure it's not the same as what you have,
Sorry for any bad info,
What I think I have is a DP-c outdrive and I cannot find another fill hole on this unit.
which has led me to think there were none,
in any case I hope the info the others
have provided give you the answer you need.
wink.gif
"

"Tim, the Seloc or Clymer manu

"Tim, the Seloc or Clymer manuals will help you finding the oil fill and drain holes for your outdrive. Also, you can download manuals from Volvo Penta covering your engine and your outdrive from here:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marineengines/pub_search/

In my opinion, taking the time to read the manuals eliminates a lot of guessing (and the subsequent screw-ups due to wrong assumptions).
biggrin.gif
"

"Well I drained out a little b

"Well I drained out a little bit of the oil in the drive. I ran it for a few minutes to move the oil around, but still the same results. thanks for all the help. Oil level is in on the mark. But I will keep a close eye on it to make sure there was not an air pocket in it."

Back