Logo

Cooling trouble

daviddunivan

Contributing Member
"ok, got the new engine out on

"ok, got the new engine out on the water in my boat this past weekend, it is a 3.7 completely rebuilt. i did use the old exhaust elbow with the coolant tank on it but i keep loosing coolant fast out of the cap and where the riser meets the manifold. if i keep water in it the boat runs like new, very pleased with the build except for this part. i ordered a new riser/coolant tank, and mounting kit as my riser had rust build up bad inside. question is the cast iron riser/tank is mounted on the aluminum manifold, do these normally give any trouble or get warped causeing the situation that i have or is it likely a bad tank riser, or bad gasket seal... i installed just as the manual said and torqued properly, the gasket looked like it made a good seal but leaked my fluid out. so how do i stop this from happening with the new one when it get's here tomorrow...any thoughts or help is great, thanks."

"David
There is lots of diffe

"David
There is lots of different opinions on assembling bits and pieces around an engine using original equipment gaskets and fitting them dry as supplied with no additional sealant.
The realities are that in many cases the surfaces that you are bolting together are not perfect and so an application of an additional sealant material can go a long way to preventing those anoying little leaks that you can see and those even worse ones that you cannot.
As I mentioned in another post in the last week, when it comes to manifolds and risers ect, I use a Loctite number 3 non hardening aviation grade sealant on my gaskets.
It is an inert sealant and gives you no corosion issues and I have about a 99.99 % success rate with assemblies when I use it.
You probably should pull yours apart, have a close look at your mating surfaces for warping or casting issues, fit new gaskets and apply a coat of sealant to both sides of the gasket on assembly before retensioning.
At least that would be my advice but I am sure someone may well have another view.
Cheers
Peter C"

Back