Logo

Use of Trim Stalls Engine

"Here's a weird one for yo

"Here's a weird one for you...

1989 OMC 2.3..

When I trim up or down at engine idle, the motor stalls.

If I'm running WOT and adjust the trim, the engine bogs down.

Weird huh?"

"Bill...this is not all that w

"Bill...this is not all that weird, happens a lot and is usually a symptom of loose or bad battery connections. What happens is that the trim motor which draws a lot current (has it's own 50 amp fuse)and is actually stealing power away from your ignition, thats why the engine stalls or bogs down and as soon as you let go of the switch everything is OK. Check your battery connections, make sure they are clean and tight at both ends. It could also be caused by a bad battery and of course a bad trim motor/pump"

"Bob, thanks for your great in

"Bob, thanks for your great insight. You really know your stuff.

My first thought too was that the battery cable was loose. Checked out ok. Alternator is good too.

Perhaps the trim motor pump--which is where I'll check next.

This is probably coincidence but, on the same day this started happening, I developed an intermittent miss in the ignition. Engine runs smooth at idle but at 1/2 to WOT, engine misses.

I did notice that the coil was running hot. Again, not sure if related. I’m changing the coil to see if that is where the miss came from.

Thanks again."

"I gave up. This boat has bee

"I gave up. This boat has been one disaster after another for the past 11 weeks. First, overheating due to lack of fresh water supply, then the thermostat, followed by the circulating pump, timing belt, rear oil seal and now this....

Dealer is refunding my money.

I found a likeable replacement last night that doesn't have these issues. I’m working on closing the deal this week.

Thanks for all your input guys over the past 11 weeks."

"Sorry to hear that Bill...did

"Sorry to hear that Bill...didn't realize it had been one thing after another. Hope you have much better luck with the next one
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back