Logo

Twin Outboard Steering Adjustment

jackspivey2

Contributing Member
"Have a 25' Ocean Star Cat

"Have a 25' Ocean Star Catamaran with twin Yamaha 200 saltwater series motors. The motors appear to be pointed toward each other slightly. I was wondering if this is normal or should they both point straight since it is a Cat? I have also noticed that since they are pointing in slightly, when i trim the right motor it moves the left bow and visa versa. New to Cats, so any help would be greatly appreciated!"

"If i trim the starboard motor

"If i trim the starboard motor up, the port bow lifts, port motor up, starboard bow lifts. Just seems like the motors would be fighting themselves in this configuration."

if they are toe out then the p

if they are toe out then the prop are pointing each other

it should be no more than 1"

how to measure is measure the center of the prop shafts
then measure the center of the steering arms

sounds like u are more than 1" of toe

"Thank you Justintime, I thoug

"Thank you Justintime, I thought that might be the case. Getting ready for a trip to Lake Erie, and wanted to set the toe before we head out. I will check those measurements and straighten it out."

"OK, just a recap, we got the

"OK, just a recap, we got the steering straightened out, what a pain in the butt! Hydraulic steering with autopilot. Seems we had some air in the system, so while we purged the entire system we set the motors up about as parallel as we could get them. Possibly a slight toe out. Unbelievable difference. Got about 4 more mph and steers considerably easier. Used regular automotive power steering fluid. Not sure if this was a good idea, but it seems the old fluid must have been heavier or had water in it. It was a brownish color and made steering wheel quite hard to turn. The new fluid is clear and the wheel is MUCH easier to turn. Hope there is no problem with using automotive fluid. Heading to Erie Monday to give it a good work out! Having an engine issue now, but it runs and there's a spare, so I have posted a new question for that and will see how it goes. Thanks again for all the help!"

Back