Logo

Replacing Hoses on 1989 OMC 43L Cobra

dougbreault

Contributing Member
"Hi,

I've never replac

"Hi,

I've never replaced the hoses on the 1989 OMC 4.3L Cobra I've owned for 2 years, and they're looking pretty shabby. By the looks of them, I've probably been dodging a bullet.

Any pointers on removing and replacing the hoses? I'm guessing that the process is:

1. Unscrew the metal tightener rings on the tube ends and remove them.
2. Bring all the tubes into the marine shop.
3. Buy new tubes and put them all back on.

What is going to come out of the tubes when they are taken off? Water? The tubes in question (if looking at the front of the engine.) are a big fat one on the left side, I think another fat one on the right, and then some other medium thickeness tubes above them. (for starters).

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
Doug"

"Water lines are the same as a

"Water lines are the same as automotive and sold by the foot. If you get any new replacement hose clamps, you will want to use marine grade stainless steel which is more corrosion resistant than automotive stainless clamps. Fuel hoses must be gotten at a marine store. Fuel hose on boat engines must be Coast Guard approved by law and for your own safety.

After tightening up new hose clamps, go back a couple of weeks later and tighten about another 1/2 turn as they tend to settle in.

It is a good idea to replace rubber hoses periodically. Both fuel line and water hoses deteriorate from the inside out. I've seen old hoses that looked like new on the outside and were crumbling away on the inside."

"Yes...just undo the hose clam

"Yes...just undo the hose clamps and pull off. If they haven't been off for a while they could be on there pretty good and you may need a small screwdriver to slide in there and help break the seal. (see pic below) The big hose #49 going down to the circulating pump will have lots of water in it if the engine has been run since it was winterized. You will probably get some water out of the input hose #45 to the t-stat. See below for PN's and approx prices, you should be able to order through a local OMC dealer or online.

81185.gif

# Part No. Current Desc Qty List Pr Online Price
45 0913486 0913486 HOSE 1 $40.99 $36.07
49 0312781 0312781 HOSE 1 $27.99 $24.63
51 0911637 0911637 HOSE 1 $7.99 $7.03"

Back