Logo

Shift Cable Adjusting

dawgs

Regular Contributor
86 merc 170....ok i have the b

86 merc 170....ok i have the boat running ok...problem is it will stall out going from foward to reverse....its a new cable...i try to adjust it now its totally out of whack....i have foward and no reverse...then visa versa....what is the easies way to start from scratch and get this thing fixed?

thats to adjust it....im looki

thats to adjust it....im looking to start from scratch. i need to set up the dash cable as well

"I have a similar problem with

"I have a similar problem with my 1988 twin 3.7's, (4 cylinder) actually the port engine adjustment. They are referred to 470's. When in Neutral and the engine revved up a little, to about 2K rpms there is a clanking sound and the prop turns slightly. A mechanic told me it is an adjustment problem. (He was at the marina working on another boat-but couldn't work on mine but was kind enough to give me some advise) The mechanic said it's easy to adjust. He said look for the box on the riser?????? First, what is the riser? I looked, no box, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. I'm no mechanic. Can anyone provide any assistance? I was hoping to use my boat this holiday weekend (Memorial Day). Thanks"

Back