Logo

Tohatsu 98 vs 99 2stroke

K

Kjetil Sletvold

"Hi guys!
Has anyone of you e

"Hi guys!
Has anyone of you ever compared the power from these two motors? Is there a significant power difference if the 9,9 is kept as is (untuned)? I'm planning to buy a 9,8 instead of the 9,9 because of the lower weight. (My boat is certified for maximum 10 hp)."

"There will be no noticable di

"There will be no noticable difference between a 9.8 and 9.9..

A 2 stroke motor will get you "out of the hole" alot quicker than a 4 stroke. The four stroke will be quieter, burn less gas and idle far better at low speed (if you use it for trolling etc).

So pick the motor that suits your particular needs and pocket-book.

When hooked on the back of a boat, the performance difference is minimal to un-noticable for motors in the 8 to 15hp range..."

are you dealer man cause i hav

are you dealer man cause i have throughly examine the parts book for the 8 and 9.8 the powerhead is the same part the carb is the same the jets and the head are different althought when i was in texas i compared both heads and they were the same if your such a guru prove me wrong and about the 9.9hp the only difference between the 9.9 and 15 was the throttle cam and the 15 and 18 what bore and stroke but the block was about the same also thas what keith at nissan told me

"Yes, I am dealer. More import

"Yes, I am dealer. More importantly, I actually know what I am talking about.

1) You said the 9.9 is a detuned 18. It is not, they share the same frame size. But they have different powerheads and carburetors. The 9.9 is a detuned 15 with the difference being the timing cam.

2} You said the 8 and 9.8 were the same engine with different jets. Wrong again. They have different jets, nozzles, cylinder heads and different blocks. You were almost right on this one though. The first series produced were the same in all respects except the carburetor.

This is not a contest about who's right or who's wrong. This is about you thinking you know more than you do and if you weren't heading down the path of disinformation I wouldn't say a thing. I don't like correcting people, but you obviously don't know that that much about the Tohatsu line. That doesn't make you stupid or even uneducated. It just means you still have a lot to learn."

are right not trying to be a j

are right not trying to be a jerk but i have a factory 8hp 2 stroke from i think 04 and i looked in the parts books for 8 and 9.8 and the blocks had had same number and the carb from i saw had diiferent jets but my parts book for the 8 is a book and my 9.8 is microfilm but the boys in texas said that all i had to do was change the jets but hey i love being proved wrong thats how you learn i would love to look at my parts books again but do you know of an online parts book all my stuff is at my shop

Back