Logo

Loss of power at top speed

danb

"I was at the lake last weeken

"I was at the lake last weekend and had my AQ130C running great all day. On the way back to the marina the boat lost power while at top speed. It would get up to speed and go for a minute or two and then it would drop horsepower in half. Does anyone have any ideas, I am lost with this one.
"

"It could be a number of thing

"It could be a number of things: a weak coil, a faulty spark plug or ignition wire, water in the fuel, a clogged fuel filter, a faulty fuel pump, a faulty carb (flooding or dry ), incorrect spark advance, a sticky exhaust valve .....

I would start giving the engine a tune-up (including a compression test when you have removed the spark plugs) and take it from there."

"Please don't let me guide

"Please don't let me guide you in the wrong direction from what El Pescador had suggested, However
Did you by chance notice the temp. of the engine when it first started bogging down/Loosing power? I say this because I have had outboard engines to do this and noticed the engine to be running on the hot side. When this happens it can cause
excessive heat and friction in the cylinders walls which in turn causes loss in power, not to mention can leed to engine failure: Check to be sure engine has good water circulation.
and On a 2nd note: have you checked the prop to be sure you have not picked up a pc of rope
tangled around the props shaft.
Good Luck"

Back