Logo

1976 Seahorse 25hp

bassfan

I need help! I have the oppor

I need help! I have the opportunity to purchase this motor. It was fogged and has been stored inside for 8-9 years. I got it and cranked it up fairly easily. Ran it in water for about an hour to burn it out. Problem is that it is still putting out quite a bit of smoke and when I lower the idle it will shut down. Is this a carb problem? And is it worth it? Thanks in advance.

"In general that is a decent e

"In general that is a decent engine that could well run for another 20 or more years without much trouble. As to the "alot of smoke" you didn't mention how new the gas was, was it mixed a little "heavy" with oil (which is what I would have done with a motor that had sat idle that long) and as for it (stalling) at low speed idle, that could be a simple adjustment. The fact that it started after that period of time, relatively easily tells me that the motor is probably in decent shape and had previously been maintained to some degree. Aside from the power issues though, one of the first things I would do would be to pull the lower unit and change the impeller. It has probably dry rotted from sitting that long."

"Your last statement - "is

"Your last statement - "is it worth it?" - you didn't mention what they are asking for this. You have to consider 1) what a new one costs (25hp - 3 grand maybe) 2) what a slightly used costs 3) how much are you going to use it - if you only get out 10 or 12 times a year, how much do you want to invest 4) can you do repairs/work yourself or will it have to go to a shop. I often get asked "what should I buy" and I always say that there is no "one size fits all answer". Personally, if I could pick this motor up for under 500 bucks, "I" would consider it a deal based on what you have said about it..."

"Graham, I truly appreciate yo

"Graham, I truly appreciate your responses. The asking price is $500.00. It is an exceptionally clean motor. I have never owned a motor as clean after I have used it. I believe that by the looks that it was well maintained. I will use the motor, (or a motor) quite a bit. 40-50 times a year as a fisherman...lots of stops and starts. I feel that I can/could get by with some repairs, although I certainly wouldn't consider myself a wrench. Heck, I can't even truly diagnose the problems.

My main concerns are that the problem could be worse than just carb issues. Could this be head gasket area, what else could be wrong after that? If it is only a carb and adjustment problem, I will be happy, but I have opened a few cans of worms in the past. I have talked to a couple of local marine mechanics who have stated prices of 3-5 bills to look at it and do minor repairs...carb and impeller. I just don't want to put more into it than it is worth.

I also spoke to someone who said that with this model, if I ever have a lower unit problem to just junk it because of the model...Any ideas as to why?

Thanks"

"I'm not sure why they wou

"I'm not sure why they would give you that advice about the lower end. The style of gearcase on that model was used by OMC until the early/mid 80's - so they may be referring to the cost of rebuilding the lower end (gears). Seals are not big issue.
And yes, if this motor would have to spend time in the shop for all maintenance and repairs I would not recommend it to someone that can't do the work themself. Let's face it, the motor is 30 years old, has old point/condenser ignition etc. It will take a bit more routine maint than say a mid 80's on that has electronic ignition.
I do alot of work on 25hp and under - if I can't carry it, I don't work on it
They are fairly simple engines. Maybe the average guy isn't going to totally tear down the head, but seals, gaskets, tune up's etc can be done easily with a good manual.
Given the price which is fair, you have to trade it off against maybe (as stated) 3-500 in a shop - and say picking up a mid-80's motor for about a grand and having electronic ignition which either works or doesn't - for the most part, nothing to adjust - just adjust the carb, change the plugs and off you go.
Hope this helps - any other question just get ahold of me on here or email directly.. Graham"

That lower unit was only used

That lower unit was only used until 1977. The 25 from 1968 to 1977 was basically all the same from what i have seen. 1978 the lower unit changed to splined prop. I personally prefer the shear pin.

For $500 I would say buy it - I wish I could find one around my area for that kind of $

A mid 70's 25 Johnson just went on the 'bay for over $1000

Back