Logo

1968 Johnson 20HP

oldobs

Contributing Member
"I have corrected a friends in

"I have corrected a friends installation of new points, condensors, coils, wires, plugs, carb kit and fuel pump. It has a fixed high speed. It will start and run , but "sneezes" as if it is too lean and no matter how far out I turn the low speed, it still does it. (Tank test)Any suggestions? Points .020, plugs .030, coil ring to set coils and float parallel to base."

"Could be several things.1-- t

"Could be several things.1-- the throttle is opening too early, it must not open till the scribe mark lines up with the throttle roller.2 the bushing in the low speed jet is threaded and my guess is that it is seized.So turning it does nothing for the adjustment.So turn that needle and measure if the needle is coming out or going in.3 there is something else wrong that would be easy to diagnose with the motor in front of me."

"I stripped the carb, cleaned

"I stripped the carb, cleaned and put it all back together. The low speed needle and it's bushing are fine. I have adjusted the timing plate to compensate for play in the carb linkage, but it doesn't make any difference. The syncro is fine."

"My 1975 20 Evinrude has had t

"My 1975 20 Evinrude has had that lean sneeze forever. I have kitted the carb twice and set every adjustment, linkage, and screw to spec multiple times. I set the low speed abit on the rich side and put the adjustment linkage on the other side, so I can "catch it" if it's too rich coming off plane or something... I actually forget now it's so instinctive...Basically I just set it to the richest setting and deal with the sneezes. I have heard others with the 20's say they do the same.
My motor wouldn't have 75 hours on it since new, so my linkage is all tight and serviceable. I looked long and hard at the throttle timing though. "

Back