Logo

NEED ADVICE ON OMC 140

intrepid

"I am considering purchasing a

"I am considering purchasing a boat that has an OMC 140 (4-cylinder, 181 cubic inch) I/O engine. The boat is 1979 so I assume the engine is same vintage. The seller of the boat says this engine was nicknamed "iron horse" because of reliability. The engine has 1100 hours on the clock and has been used exclusively in fresh water.

Can anyone advise if this engine is prone to any particular problems? I intend on having a compression and oil pressure check done, but other than that, is there anything to look for? I have also been told that there is a slight leak from the steering gear shaft (maybe a seal) that will cost $200-$250 to repair.

1100 hours is getting up there, can I reasonably expect to get another 500 or 600 before I am looking at a rebuild?"

That engine has a whole bunch

That engine has a whole bunch of marine engine hours on it. I'd be carefull with that one. Remember boat engines work a lot harder than their auto cousins. I've allways said it's like pulling a trailer up a 5% grade when compareing to the normal car engine.

"Run away. Fast. 1979 is a hyd

"Run away. Fast. 1979 is a hydromechanical shift OMC stringer. It was junk. Worse than electric shift. Expect to pay upwards of $500 for a shift cable. And that's from me, I probably have the last one on the planet. OMC's are quirky enough as it is, but 1979 thru 1981 are the worst. Many parts are available for them, but it only takes one that isn't to ruin your plans.
If it's been updated to "full mechanical shift" and has an ESA system added, I might consider it if it's priced as a trailer with a free boat on it.
Here's the reason to avoid OMC used boats:
Rebuilt OMC drive: $4500 if you can find one and they accept your core on trade in
Brand New Mercruiser drive: $1300 no core
Which would you rather own in a 28 year old boat?."

"I go along with hystat on thi

"I go along with hystat on this subject but after working on these floating nightmares for 29 years you couldn't GIVE me an OMC or a Mercruiser. Find yourself and older boat with a working and serviced Volvo Penta and go out and enjoy it. Volvo Penta was the best, is the best and will always be the best Sterndrive on the water period. OMC, Mercruiser and Volvo factory trained."

Back