Logo

OMC Volvo Penta SX Difference

S

Steve W.

I was just curious about the d

I was just curious about the difference in the OMC and Volvo Penta SX. I had a Volvo Penta 270 stern drive on a boat once and was almost 19 years old before I sold it. Not once did I have a problem with the outdrive. Will the SX fit in place of a OMC 800 or what will it fit or size engines? Looks like the same bolt pattern and and U joint assemble to me. Here is a drawing of the volvo drive:

http://www.sterndrive.info/volvo_parts/id4.html

Steve...you said in your first

Steve...you said in your first post an "OMC 800" this normally refers to a "Stringer" drive and those conversions you looked at are for converting a Cobra drive to Volvo. Which do you have? Remember the stringer has the big black rubber boot around it on the transom and the Cobra has the trim rams on each side of the drive similar to a Mercruiser.

"oops! Sorry Bill, don't k

"oops! Sorry Bill, don't know why I said 800. Mine has the trim rams on each side. I don't have the stringer."

"OK then...I have heard of guy

"OK then...I have heard of guys using that conversion kit sucessfully. The general concensus seems to be that the Volvo SX drive is pretty good, getting parts and service is easier than the OMC's and I think you can even convert it to a Volvo Duo Prop down the road if you want. Not sure what year yours is but I believe the Volvo SX drive is basically the same drive as the OMC Cobra SX which they started using when OMC and Volvo did their joint venture thing starting in 1994."

Back