Logo

Next motor suggestion

dougbreault

Contributing Member
"We still have our first power

"We still have our first power boat. We have owned it for about 2 years. It's a 23' Four Winns Horizon with an OMC 4.3L Cobra, 1989.

When we upgrade to our next boat in the next year or so, I'm hoping I can reuse a lot of the engine maintenance knowledge I've gained. Any suggestions on an I/O motor brand/model that I should lean towards if available? One that will be similar to the OMC I have now? I'm thinking of a boat in the 25' to 30' range for boat #2.

Also, should I not care about this?

And finally, how much harder is it to work on an outboard if we went with one (or two). Someone told me everything is much tigher and harder to work on for an amateur.

Thanks,
Doug"

"Doug:

Interesting post! I

"Doug:

Interesting post! If you're "normal" your next boat will be 4 feet longer. (Ask anyone.) Stay away from OMC! THe parts are hard to get and getting worse all the time.

I like outboards, and they are easier to work on in the respect that one doesn't need a forklift crane to remove them. True, it's a bit tight under the hood, but (see above).

Jeff"

If you did find a boat you rea

If you did find a boat you really liked later than a 1994 with an OMC I think you would still be OK because thats when they made the OMC/Volvo's (Joint Venture)and you can easily get parts and service for those today and even replace the entire drive unti with a Volvo if needed.

Back