Logo

Do I have the engine rotation figured out correctly

lstyles

"I bought a CC that came with

"I bought a CC that came with the 327 engine flywheel aft and hooked up to a jet drive so it was modified in several places. The 1961 CC ski boat should have a flywheeel forward 283. I have decided to keep the 327 block as it is in good shape. Because the boat has been so modified I am not sure what rotation the engine is. Unfortunately the starter cant help me as its not working. I opened up the timing chain cover and it has a chain not a gear (see picture below). By my calculations (and advice from others) if it has a chain then it is the "standard" rotation for a flywheel forward CC engine and the reverse rotation for a CC flywheel aft engine. By standard I mean the way that CC usually put them in (I am not going to get into the auto vs marine stuff). This makes me think that whoever modified my engine took the original flywheel forward engine and turned it around in my boat to drive the jet drive. Does my logic make sense? By the way the cam shaft number is 6930 which I think is associated with casting number 3896929 according to my chevy parts book. I am not sure what that means rotation wise (the camshaft sprocket is s-390).
The reason I am so fixated on all this is that IF my engine is actually the correct rotation for a flywheel forward then I can just switch it around and go from there. I know I need several other parts (eg water pump) to make this work but would rather do this than have to go out and get another old engine that I know is flywheel forward and have to take it apart too. My intake manifold dates out at 57-64 (too early for 327F I think) so it may be original too.
thanks and sorry for being so dumb about all this,
Lori
80872.jpg
"

"Some marine engines (like

"Some marine engines (like Mopar) turn the camshaft backwards and run the distributor/ oil pump the same way with an opposite gear set. If CC were set up that way, you can't tell from the timing chain.

Jeff"

"Unfortunately my engine didnt

"Unfortunately my engine didnt come with a water pump...I believe the jet pump was providiing that service. I checked my parts catalog for the 283 (not 283F) and it shows that standard rotation flywheel forward has the chain and the gear is used in opposite rotation. Double-checked by looking at the 283/327F parts catalog and they have the gear being standard rotation and chain being opposite rotation. I feel pretty confident that though some mods were made to this engine that this engine was turned around to be flywheel aft and that it is a standard rotation for a flywheel forward (to turn a right handed prop).
thanks,
Lori"

Lori it could be a Q motor the

Lori it could be a Q motor the problem is as much as you have it torn down in the picture I can't tell. the trick is this what is the firing order by the cam. If you took note of it before tearing it down I could tell you if it was a flywheel forward motor or not as they have a unique firing order. Do you have the intake manifold? That would help too the Q has the water inlet up with the distributor. The firing order for a 327 Q RH rotation 1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8 good luck!

Back