Logo

AQ 131A starting problem

bill_k

Regular Contributor
"This is a weird one that has

"This is a weird one that has got me just tapping my head for answers,... motor turns over real slow like the batt. is dead but once it starts will start on stop just like normal.. but if it doesn't start right away it will eventually drain the batteries.. I have two interstate 1000 MCA batteries with a duel switch, thought the batteries were just worn out even though I bought them last summer so I took them back to the shop that I bought them from and they tested out OK but still gave me two new ones just in case and still have the same problem.. seems like it only happens after sitting for a few hours.. cables are good and starter checks out OK.. alternator is reading 14.2 at Batteries while running??"

"If the starter is for sure OK

"If the starter is for sure OK (including solenoid), then I can only imagine that: 1) the engine is not grounded properly to the battery negative; 2)the main switch is defective; 3) the wires and/or connectors are bad or the connectors are not tight; 4) evil spirits have invaded your boat
wink.gif
lol.gif

For (1) try to run a booster cable from the negative of the battery to a good ground in the block. If the starter turns good, inspect the ground cable and clean the connections both on the engine and the battery sides. For (2), run a booster cable from the battery (+) to the large prong in the starter, then attemp to start. If the starter turns well, then check the main switch, and also the cables (with their connectors) from the + of the battery to the main switch and from the main switch to the large prong in the starter. For (3)...well, that's obvious. And for (4), consider using an exorcist.
lol.gif

If all of the above fails, then perhaps the starter or solenoid is not as good as you initially thought."

"Thanks El I Think I might be

"Thanks El I Think I might be dealing with #4
uhoh.gif
But to be sure I am going to replace the cable connections and make sure they are clean and secure.."

"If all turns OK, perhaps your

"If all turns OK, perhaps your starter (provided it is not toasted) needs new brushes, or the commutator needs to be skimmed on a lathe or the grooves need to be cleaned. You may want to consider opening it and having a look."

figured it out you were right

figured it out you were right El one of the ends on the ground cable was loose but only if you twist it alittle but took it off and soldered it and works great now

Back